January 2022 Part 2, regular graphics

Edmonton Coun. Michael Janz wants landlords in the city to have a licence.

Janz’s proposed landlord licensing and rental regulation expands regulatory requirements and fines for landlords, and more powers for bylaw officers.

Edmonton council will weigh in on the proposed regulation Monday.

The regulations correspond with Metis ward Coun. Ashley Salvador’s December 2021 motion about problem properties. Salvador requested city administration provide metrics and options related to residential and commercial problem priorities.

Janz, the papastew councillor and community and public services committee vice-chair took to Twitter to promote the city’s latest proposals, which he detailed on his website.

“(The) regulation could require landlords to submit floor, maintenance and parking plans, provide proof of insurance and tenancy agreements … and comply with codes and bylaws,” said Janz.

The city would see more boots on the ground with a dedicated bylaw enforcement “team,” as well as increased powers to enter and inspect units and fine landlords for licence violations.

A problematic database of licensed rental units would be compiled for public use to “track or identify problem landlords,” and give neighbours private information to wield against “problematic or absentee landlord(s).”

Janz recalled a story from a former city councillor who banded together with neighbours to “shame the bank quietly profiting from the mortgage payments from another problem property.”

Janz said he is confident the proposed regulation will improve public safety and better communities, citing his family’s recent experience with a rental.

“We discovered a major cockroach problem that was not disclosed to me prior to signing my lease. In discussion with my neighbouring tenants they were shocked that the previous cockroach issues had not been previously disclosed to me prior to moving in” said Janz.

Janz encouraged his constituents to provide the city with their own input on problem properties.

“Continue to call 311, issue complaints, collect documentation, and talk to your neighbours and the community league about issues you are facing.”

Gosselin is a Western Standard reporter

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.