
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced he will step down next week, dismissing accusations from U.S. President Donald Trump that he is plotting to cling to power under the guise of managing a trade dispute.
“I look forward to a transition to my duly elected successor in the coming days or week,” Trudeau said, underscoring the timeline.
The Liberal Party is scheduled to select a new leader on Sunday.
Blacklock's Reporter says when asked if he would remain in a caretaker role, Trudeau firmly responded, “No, I will not be.”
Trump reiterated his suspicions in a social media post, writing, “Despite the terrible job he’s done for Canada, I think Justin Trudeau is using the tariff problem, which he has largely caused, in order to run again for Prime Minister. So much fun to watch!”
Earlier this week, Trump likened Trudeau to a governor of a hypothetical 51st state, suggesting he was exploiting the trade issue to extend his tenure. Trudeau declined to reveal details of a recent phone call with Trump but reiterated his administration’s goal to remove all tariffs while pledging federal action to support Canadians during challenging times.
The 51st state remark originated from a November 29 banquet at Trump’s Florida estate, where guests, including Public Safety Minister Dominic LeBlanc, said the comment was made in jest.
LeBlanc told reporters on December 3 that the remark was not serious, describing the evening as social and lighthearted.
“The President was telling jokes,” said LeBlanc. “The Prime Minister responded. It was a social evening.”